How stroke is diagnosed?
A number of investigations can help identify the type of stroke that has occurred and the best treatment option. The precise tests will differ from person to person, but common ones include:
- Blood pressure measurement.
- Blood tests to check blood sugar, clotting and cholesterol levels.
- Chest X-ray to check for heart or chest problems.
- An electrocardiogram (ECG) to measure the rhythm and activity of the heart.
- An echocargiogram, a type of heart scan, to check for heart problems.
- Brain scans to determine the type of stroke and to look for signs of damage.
- An ultrasound scan of the carotid arteries to check blood flow to the brain.
Early rehabilitation is crucial. Every stoke survivor must seek rehabilitation treatment as soon as possible. More »